Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Moving to Visual Studio 2019

I made the leap and downloaded Visual Studio 2019.  Installation was painless which is what I come to expect from Windows software installers these days.  I'll be making new posts related to VS2019 but posts about the older versions will remain for anyone who might need them.

Usual disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer.  What I do with my IDE is, in all likelyhood, not something big programming shops would do.  I try my best to incorporate good workflow but please don't flame me if I'm doing things against the grain.

I suppose that it's worth mentioning as well that my code is not "clean" and not C++14 (or even C++11).  I do dumb things and ask dumb questions.  But I've been happy with the results of many test programs, proofs of concepts, and so-called "tech demos" that I've written over the years.

One of the dumb things that I did was uninstalling VS2017 and VS2013 from my system.  I knew that a VS project could be converted automatically for use in newer versions of Visual Studio.  What I hadn't consider is that if there was a problem with the conversion process.

Luckily most of the affected projects were of the simple "Hello World" type.  A program to test function pointers, another to test some OpenGL stuff and one for SDL.  I had many of what I call my "WTF" programs where I was trying to sort out one thing or another.  Basically these were all throwaways and I did just that.

My biggest worry was having the project files for my game get destroyed.  This "game" is hardly finished and nowhere near the point that I can even claim it to be a game at all.  But I worked months on that thing, pouring over pages of notes for SDL while I attempted to get a dwarf to move sensibly in a grid-based game world.

It was safe and I breathed a sigh of relief.  My next posts will cover the most basic of basics in Visual Studio 2019 - updating it and getting Hello World working.

No comments:

Post a Comment